Whether you’re a business blogger or a personal blogger, writing posts about your local area is aninvaluable SEO method. It’s much easier to dominate a keyword related to a geographical region than one without. For instance, you know that Googling “fast-food” will give you different search results than “fast-food in Smallville.” The same is true of any other location-keyword pairing.
Writing about your region is a great way to become a local authority, capture a new audience base, and give you something fun to blog about!
Here are some ideas for blog posts about your local area:
- Write a review about a restaurant, museum, concert venue, movie theater, and other similar businesses. Be careful about going negative – this may help you gain some traffic, but it won’t do you any favors with the business itself. If you write a positive review for a business, you can share the post with that business and gain a new ally. A negative review will not have nearly the same advantages. Instead, leave any of your bad customer experiences out of your blog entirely.
- Create a roundup of similar locations or activities. Include all the events happening in December or stores that sell the best gardening supplies.
- Get nostalgic – if you’ve lived in the same place for a while, write about what’s changed and what’s stayed the same. Or write about your favorite ice cream store as a child.
- Create a bucketlist of parks to visit or restaurants to try. As you complete each item, take pictures and do a small write-up.
- Check out all the activities happening in your town: carnivals, farmer’s markets, parades, festivals, charity events, etc.
- Create a list of little-known facts about your area.
- Share some of your favorite haunts and locations. Talk about the coffee you are addicted to or the gym where you are most comfortable.
What kind of local posts do you write about for your blog?